Monday 19 November 2012

Monday Fables #8: Karma

Karma - Alicia Keys

Weren't you the one who said that you don't want me anymore
And how you need your space and give the keys back to your door
And how I cried and tried and tried to make you stay with me
And still you said your love was gone and that I had to leave
Now you're Talking bout a family
Now you're saying I complete your dreams
Oh
Now you're sayin I'm your everything
You're confusing me
What you saying to me, don't play wit me, don't play wit me
Cause....

[Chorus:]
What goes around comes around
What goes up must come down
Now who's cryin', desirin' to come back to me
What goes around comes around
What goes up must come down
Now who's cryin, desirin', to come back

I remember when I was sittin home alone
Waitin for you til 3 o'clock in the 'morn
And when you came home you'd always have some sorry excuse
Half explaining to me like I'm just some kind of a fool
I sacrificed the things I wanted just to do things for you
But when it's time to do for me
You never come thru
Now you wanna be up under me
Now you have so much to say to me
Now you wanna make time for me
Whatcha doin to me, you're confusin me
Don't play with me don't play with me cause

[Repeat Chorus 2x]

I remember when I was sittin home alone
Waitin for you till 3 o'clock in the 'morn
Night after night knowing something goin on
Wasn't long before I be gone
Lord knows it wasn't easy believe me
Never thought you'd be the one that would deceive me
And never do what you're supposed to do
No need to approach me fool, cuz I'm over you

[Repeat Chorus]

Gotta stop trying to come back to me

[Repeat Chorus]

It's called Karma baby and it goes around

She ducked her head when she saw him across the room, trying and failing to suck in her now large belly. But he saw her across the crowded room, reminding her with a pain in her chest of the night they met. He had been charming and sweet and exactly what she needed after the breakup she’d been through. Three years, two heartbreaks and countless trips to her OB/GYN brought her back to the same restaurant where of course he found her again.
“Hey….” His voice trailed off as he approached the table in the corner, her large sun hat covering her disdainful eyes from him. “Whoa, you got big.”
“It’s called being pregnant” asshole she muttered into her cup of tea but she wanted him to hear her. If he didn’t let on.
“So it is mine.”
“No it’s mine.” She set her cup down and looked up at him – really looked at him – and smirked. He’d gained weight too. His eyes were tired and glossy from drugs and sleepless nights. It wasn’t much but it was a little vindication. “What are you doing here?”
He puffed out his beefy chest, his nipples practically cutting through his tight grey t-shirt. “I’m here picking up a lunch order for my new girlfriend.”
She rolled her eyes “and what; am I supposed to be jealous?” Her hands had found the table in a firm press, keeping her throwing some sharp, heavy object at him “I. Don’t. Care. The only time I ever think of you is when I’m taking out the trash.”
“Witty comeback for a girl who got knocked up two weeks before graduation.”
Those same hands that kept her from killing him now pushed her up so she was in his face from across the table, eyeing him up and down with an almost predatory glare. “I know what you’re insinuating but I am not a slut. I was weak.” She smiled “but not anymore. And if you ever come near me or this child I will show you just how strong I am.”
He scoffed but swallowed before he spoke “I’d like to see that.”
“Just wait. Karma’s on my side.”
“I don’t believe in that shit.”
“You should.” Her voice was dangerously low and the entire restaurant had fallen away “because one day it’s going to come and bite you in the ass; and I won’t even be there to laugh at you because I don’t care anymore.”
He stared at her, wide-eyed, trying to determine how serious she was. So he tested the waters “you’ll care when that baby grows up without a daddy.”
“They won’t. Because I have people who care about me; and a whole slew of guys who are so much better than you. This baby won’t even know your name.” She grabbed her wallet from the back of her jeans and slapped a twenty-dollar bill on the table – more than enough – grabbed her coat and walked away, leaving him in the dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment